On Sunday November 9, 2014, the earth lost a great man, husband, father, teacher, and preacher to the masses, and heaven gained a faithful servant. It was reported that Dr Myles Munroe along with his wife, Ruth, and other ministry leaders were involved in a fatal airplane crash. All who were blessed with his teachings and infamous quotes are mourning this great loss. Prayers of comfort and peace that surpasses all understanding go out to his family, friends, and the entire Bahamian and Christian community.
Early on in my marriage, my husband and I got a hold of a 5-part marriage series taught by Dr Munroe, and God used that to open the eyes of our understanding on what it was to truly love unselfishly, give freely, and willingly compromise in order to have a fruitful and long lasting marriage. The best gift you can give your children is a happy marriage! I’d like to share with you 10 of those teachings & quotes that have stayed with us and have positively impacted our marriage. Dr. Myles Munroe, thank you for your obedience to your calling, for teaching us unabashedly about love, intimacy, and fulfilling the needs of your spouse. Heaven is celebrating!
HOW DR MYLES MUNROE IMPACTED MY MARRIAGE: 10 LESSONS & QUOTES THAT CHANGED OUR LIVES
- “God did not create woman from man’s head, that he should command her, nor from his feet, that she should be his slave, but rather from his side, that she should be near his heart.”
― The Purpose and Power of Love & Marriage
- “Marital faithfulness involves more than just sexual fidelity. Being faithful to your wife also means defending her and affirming her beauty, intelligence, and integrity at all times, particularly before other people. Faithfulness to your husband means sticking up for him, always building him up and never tearing him down. Marital fidelity means that your spouse’s health, happiness, security, and welfare take a higher place in your life than anything else except your own relationship with the Lord.”
― The Purpose and Power of Love & Marriage
- “The number one need of a woman is affection. A woman doesn’t want affection, she needs it! Just like a car needs gasoline, a female needs affection. Affection is fuel to a woman’s tank.” ―Understanding Men and Women’s Needs Pt 1 of 5
- “A man is stimulated by what he sees. A woman is stimulated by what she hears. When a man sees a woman, it impacts him. When a woman hears a man, it impacts her. We are different creatures. Because of that a male has a natural desire to look for beauty. And he has a natural desire to want to protect what is his. Thus a desire to want something that is beautiful and worth protecting. He doesn’t want an attractive wife… He needs it! A man wants to be proud of his wife!” ― Understanding Men and Women’s Needs Pt 3 of 5
- “If you want a woman to function for you, be honest with her all the time and be open. Tell her everything that you need to tell her. Don’t ever tell any other woman something you didn’t tell your wife. Be honest with her. If you have a plan for business, tell your wife. She doesn’t want this, she needs this.” ― Understanding Men and Women’s Needs Pt 3 of 5
- “Jesus is the man. The church is the woman. The woman should be able to cast all her cares upon her husband.” ― Understanding Men and Women’s Needs Pt 3 of 5
- “Home is supposed to be a refuge for a man. A hiding place. Study your home. Is it a place your husband wants to stay and hide from the world? Do not make it a war zone! When he runs away from the world, home should be a hiding place.” ― Understanding Men and Women’s Needs Pt 4 of 5
- “A woman that is like a dripping faucet makes a man sleep on the roof. How does a woman destroy a man the bible says? With her own tongue.” ― Understanding Men and Women’s Needs Pt 4 of 5
- “A marriage and a family is like a business. A business operates on partnership and each spouse should give equal share to deposit into the general account. It doesn’t matter who makes more money.” ―Understanding Men and Women’s Needs Pt 4 of 5
- “Your wife should never have to be under pressure to supply (provide). She needs financial stability.” ― Understanding Men and Women’s Needs Pt 5 of 5
***BONUS TIPS BY DR. MUNROE THAT WE LIVE BY!***
- “A man doesn’t want respect. He needs it! A man does not need love. No where in the bible does it say a woman should love a man. Why? Because a man needs respect. A man interprets respect as love. Ephesians Chapt 5 says husbands love your wife. It never tells the woman to love the man. But it does say wives respect your husbands! How do you respect a man? Respect means to speak highly of. To hold in high regard. To praise. Here’s whats hurting in the church. Wives respect their pastor more than they respect their husbands. You are not married to your pastor.” ― Understanding Men and Women’s Needs Pt 5 of 5
- “If your car needs gas, you go to a gas station and the station is closed. What do you do? You go to another station. Women, put a sign up that says “always open”. A man doesn’t want to fight for sex with his wife!” ― Understanding Men and Women’s Needs Pt 5 of 5
Which tips do you identify with the most? For my husband and I, its definitely the issue of properly expressing love, affection, and respect.
I pray that these profound and biblical marriage principles taught by Dr Myles Munroe will be the tools needed to reignite the fire, reestablish the principles of love, affection, and intimacy, and ultimately help you sustain joy and marital bliss. In Jesus Name!
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband. Ephesians 25-33 (NIV)